Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Martian by Andy Weir

I don't rave about many books: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Home Style, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and Ready Player One aside, I don't generally start raving about books fifty pages in. I didn't actually have high hopes for this book at first. Glen Weldon recommended it on Pop Culture Happy Hour and as I was walking through a large bookstore, I saw a huge display of the book, and I just picked it up because Weldon has rarely steered me wrong (although I do not understand the appeal of Welcome to Night Vale the way he does, apparently).

Anyway, lots of links to tell you that YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK.

The premise: a guy gets stranded on Mars.
The result: he must figure out a way to survive on Mars until someone notices he's there and comes to save him.
The reason you should read it: the character of Mark Watney.  He's uber smart, funny, but he's not perfect. He does idiotic things that have disastrous consequences. He's rational, but does have emotional breakdowns at times. He's likeable without being superficial.
I don't read science fiction, you might say. Give this one a shot. Skim over the bits in which Watney discusses thrust and calculates orbital velocity. Skim over the bits about ions and atoms.  But read it for the humor, the reflection, and the all important question of what in the hell would you do if you were stranded on Mars. 

I loved this book from the first page through to the last. It's going to go into my rotation of books to recommend to everyone (right next to Ready Player One as fun and accessible to every age and gender). Please read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment