Thursday, May 07, 2015

12.7 Do - Last Class

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the seventh day of each month is "Do."
****************************
There's nothing like pulling off a class session and knowing you did it well. Every class isn't a home run, of course, and there are some periods where I just put a big X over my lecture notes to remind myself not to do that again. But there are some class periods when students just get it - they understand the point of the activity, they ask me great questions that are perfect segues into the next topic, and they teach one another in ways that clearly make sense to them.  There are class periods when the multimedia just doesn't resonate with them (students clearly don't love podcasts as much as I do) and times when the multimedia is all they will talk about for days (John Oliver is my friend).

But the more I do it, the higher the number of class periods that work well I have and the fewer Xes I have to contend with. 
I felt a huge sense of relief when I walked out of my last class of the semester today. I'm not done, yet, there are finals to write and grade, and final grades to enter, but there are no more lectures to worry about, no more worries about if there is enough peer to peer interaction or if the reading is too complicated or if that kid in the back is suffering from an anxiety problem and I'm putting him on the spot. 

Let's hope it's not really my last class and that they can afford to hire me again next semester.  I'm just figuring it out!
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment