Thursday, May 21, 2015

12.21 Laughter - The Great Machine v. Device Debate

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-first day of each month is "Laughter."
***************************
It is Dr. BB's birthday today.

On present offer:
1) Two pairs of Besciani socks. There is no way I'm letting a chance to buy my husband striped socks go by without actually purchasing some.
2) A one pound assortment of See's Candies chocolates. They're all gluten free and since Dr. BB didn't want a cake or cookies for dessert tonight, at least he can have a truffle.
3) Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood shaving cream and an Omega Boar Bristle shaving brush
4) Pants

Man, I give some lame presents. I would like the first two things, I think. But the rest would make me sad. They came from his list, though, so he can't complain.
We're currently in the midst of A Great Debate all about words. We had finished the great debate about what to call the area of our building between the front door and our apartment door (foyer? vestibule? entryway?) and now we've moved on to quizzing one another about the difference between a device and a machine.

I think a device needs a source of power to work - battery, electricity, or whatever.  A machine, on the other hand, can run by itself.  Dr. BB has this weird thing about machine having moving parts, primarily mechanic, but a device has no moving parts. But then we get into very deep, philosophical discussions about cars (not a machine by my definition, but a device, but I would not feel weird or misunderstand if someone called it a machine) and watches (but the gears MOVE, I cry) and tools (there's a reason the word tool was created!).

And then we laugh at one another for the inaneness of our debates.
In the end everything is just a thingamajig, gadget, or whatsit. 
***************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit To Quit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment