Saturday, April 25, 2015

11.25 Courage - Neville Longbottom This

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-fifth day of each month is "Courage."
**************************** 
We've been around Dr. BB's family which means that we get to spend comparing and contrasting parenting styles. Each of his siblings has a different approach, particularly to discipline, and we usually try to figure it out so that we can be consistent when we're with our nieces and nephews. 

One of my sisters-in-law, who is married to Dr. BB's brother, is quite unpopular with the other mothers in the family. Because she tells her kid no on a regular basis. 

And sometimes they say something about it to me. Look, I don't know anything about parenting and, frankly, I'm not interested. I don't criticize other people's parenting unless it directly inconveniences me (get your fucking toddler out of the middle of the dairy aisle) or harms the kid (not getting appropriate health treatments, mostly), so I stay out of it.
But I think it takes courage for my SIL to stand up to the rest of them. She gives her kid a time-out, even at grandma's house. She makes her kid stand still during church, even when his cousin who is three months older than him is making noises and jumping up and down. She insists on good behavior with no exceptions.  

And the others talk behind her back. I swear to you, if I know about it, she knows about it. And still she does it. And I respect that.
****************************
 To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment