Monday, April 20, 2015

11.20 Lessons - Choose Laughter

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twentieth day of each month is "Lessons."
****************************
I think of myself as a bit on the dour side - the glass is half empty, the road is paved with broken bricks, and don't you dare watch the news if you want to go to bed without being riddled with guilt and anxiety.  But, for all of that, I'm quick to laugh.

There was some poor sap working outside our building all day today, leaf blowing rocks, trimming shrubs, and doing heaven knows what else in the wet and cold.  When we left for school, he was hard at work and when we came home, he was  still there.  Or at least I think he was. There was a rake, a leaf blower, and a bucket just sitting there on the grass by the garage door.

NGS: That's a sucky job.
Dr. BB: Especially with this weather.
(pause)
Dr. BB: Or maybe he has been abducted.
(cue insane laughter)
Bestest Friend sent me a card in the mail. It was one of those acrostic poems in which the first letters spell something (in this case, my name). It was pretty hilarious with "M is for moratorium" and "Q is for questionable," but by the time I read the last line "E is for Ethiopia," I could hardly contain my laughter.

Setting aside my natural predisposition towards pessimism, I like this aspect about myself. I like that laughter comes easily. I like that almost every day I laugh so hard my stomach hurts.  I like that I am surrounded by hilarious people who know just when to drop the perfect pun.
*****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment