Saturday, February 07, 2015

9.7 Do - Make Stock

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the seventh day of each month is "Do."
****************************
At the most recent family reunion, I was talking to one of the men in my husband's extended family. He had just come back from a work trip in an unnamed city where I am distinctly uncomfortable with the race relations. He was raving about the unnamed city, though, and I smiled politely, nodded, and when he asked me if I had ever been, I said yes.

"Did you love it?"
"Not exactly."
"What? It's lovely. Perfect weather. The resort was fabulous. The shopping and restaurants are plentiful!"
"I'm uncomfortable with the politics of the place," I replied.
"What? You would let politics determine where you go on vacation?!  You're probably also the kind of person who make their own soup!"

Seriously. These are the kinds of conversations I have with these people.

Anyway, yes. I do make my own soup (we've both had kidney stones and we're concerned about sodium in our diets, blah, blah, blah). And homemade soup starts with homemade stock. 

Last night we made a chicken in the crock pot for dinner (I follow this recipe, but there are a ton out there, so do what you want).  Then I left the bones and drippings in the crock pot, added some water, lots of root vegetables (celery, carrots, parsnip) and some spices. I turned it on low for sixteen hours.
Then this afternoon I strained it twice, put some in our two ice cube trays and ten bags containing one cup of stock each.
And the next time I make anything that calls for chicken stock, I can defrost one of these in the microwave and call it homemade. Even if that is somehow shameful.
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

1 comment: