Monday, February 23, 2015

9.23 Writing - All That God Intended Them To Be

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-third day of each month is "Writing."
****************************
Sometimes the answers on the Family Feud remind me that I live in one of the most religious countries in the developed world.   Where would you hate to be when you found out your zipper was down? Church! Who would you hate to find out you had been stealing from work?  My pastor!  And whenever this happens, I am jolted out of my own world and thrown into the world of people who are religious.

I am an atheist, but it's more than that, really. I'm not anti-religious (so long as what you do doesn't hurt me, I don't give a shit), but I'm areligious in that I just don't think about religion at all in my daily life. And it really takes me by surprise when I'm confronted with just how important this non-entity in my own life is to other people.
I got a card in the mail from Bestest Friend today and she had been in a church for some activity for her kid and so, of course, she sent me some piece of writing she had clearly taken from the church.

And I'll probably be accused of being judgmental and patronizing, but who the fuck needs this screed? If you're a parent worthy of the title, you already know that you should encourage your children to be their own people.  If you're a parent who is reading this and thinking, "holy shit, I should stop pushing piano on Susie and let her follow her dream of making spaghetti art!", then you have much bigger issues to deal with than encouraging your children to be all "God" intended them to be.

Anyway, when writing I always try to consider my audience and that's what makes religious tracts like this so perplexing to me.  Who is supposed to be getting what out of this?
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment