Wednesday, December 31, 2014

7.31 Guilty Pleasures - Why Don't They Call It Ladies' Furnishings?

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the thirty-first day of each month is "Guilty Pleasures."
****************************
When I lived in Minneapolis, I shopped all the time. I bought new clothes, gifts, strange oddities I found at thrift stores, and lots of paperback books.   The Mall of America was just minutes away and if I had a random afternoon with not a lot planned, I'd just head over there. I had a giant closet and a little room and I filled the closet and slept in the room.

But at some point, I became concerned about whether or not my fashion choices were ethical or not. I stopped buying trendy, poorly constructed, or questionably sourced garments. I looked at labels, seams, and thread counts. I paid $300 for a pair of shoes I know I'll still be wearing in a decade and that workers were paid to cobble by hand.  I sighed when my last H&M camisole came apart at the seams, but knew I'd have to find a new source of under garments.

I'm not a minimalist, but I choose to buy quality garments now instead of a lot of inexpensive, low-quality clothing.  My closet is no longer full, but I'm working on a wardrobe in which every item makes me feel beautiful, happy, and guilt-free.
But I can't quit my hosiery habit. I was organizing my dresser (it's a new year, after all) and as I kept pulling out tights, hose, and stockings, my husband looked on in wonder. You have two pairs of jeans, one sweatshirt, but dozens of pairs of tights?  Why yes, yes, I do.

****************************
On Christmas Day, both of the baby girls were wearing striped tights. One of my sisters-in-law jokingly says "enjoy the tights while you can, you can't wear striped tights forever."

I pipe in from the next room with "don't listen to her, girls, Aunt NGS wore striped tights last night."
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment