Wednesday, December 03, 2014

7.3 Think - Ring Ring

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the third day of each month is "Think."
****************************
In 1970, a fire burned down the majority of the oldest building on campus (unfortunately for me, I teach in a classroom in what remains of this building) and one of the things that was saved from the wreckage of the fire was this old school bell.  I love it.  Someone has remove the clapper, of course, but I always walk by the bell and think about how amazing it is that it's almost 150 years old. (I also think about how ridiculous it is that as an American I am impressed by things over 100 years old. I can see all the Europeans eyes rolling as I think about "old" in the American context.)
I also think about how much I like bells.

(Nostalgic old person rant ahead.)

When I was in elementary school, we had a bell. I remember the teacher motioning us to hush so that she (and we) could hear it.

When I taught high school, they had this electronic foghorn sound that just about made me pee my pants with fright every time it would go off.

This time of year, I just want to hear the Carol of the Bells and Sleigh Ride and just rock out to the sound of bells. Is that too much to ask?
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment