Wednesday, December 24, 2014

7.24 Pain - Slippery When Wet

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-fourth day of each month is "Pain."
****************************
I wish I could name all the medications that my husband has been on in the last 96 hours. Actually, I can name them all because I've been the one doling them out every 4-6 hours.  Let me assure you, opening our kitchen cabinet is a bit like peering through a pharmacy window.  He woke me up at 5:30 in the morning, asking if it was possible to take anything for the pain.  He was nauseated, feverish, and it hurt me so much to say that he had to eat something first. He doesn't eat well in the best of circumstances and as he sat there struggling to keep applesauce down, I went into the bathroom with my cat, turned on the fan and the water in the sink, sank down to the ground, and cried.
It's better now. I even felt okay about leaving him to go to the grocery store.  But I hate to see him in pain. With every single new health complication that arises because of his underlying Celiac disease, I become more and more worried about his long-term health, especially his mental health. We're not out of the woods, despite his dedication to a gluten-free diet, and I hate watching him feel like his body is beyond his control, like it's spiraling into a free fall of illness and injury.

I've written about this a lot and I don't want to rehash it, but Celiac is an autoimmune disorder and while we used to joke about it a lot (mostly in the context of Dr. BB getting to jump to the head of the line when vaccines are in limited quantities), we don't laugh anymore. We just wait for the other shoe to fall.
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment