Sunday, November 09, 2014

6.9 Color - Orange

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the ninth day of each month is "Color."
****************************
I never really liked the color orange when I was growing up. It was too closely associated with hunting, with the culture of  blaze orange hats and coats that inevitably dot the landscape during this very time of year. I'm actually not anti-hunting - I appreciate that it controls wild animal populations, which prevents starvation among the animal population and car/animal accidents which are no good for either party involved - but I don't especially appreciate seeing deer hanging from trees to tenderize the meat or photographs of folks holding up racks in celebration of their "big kill."  It just seems sort of, I don't know, disrespectful. 

Anyway.

Then I went to college. One of my alma mater's colors is orange, and I, of course, learned to love it the way unthinking, long-standing, deep-rooted devotions are adored.
Now orange is the color of Freddie and Frieda's shoes, a pumpkin patch the week before Halloween, the sunset just as the sun is reaching its nadir, the first tulips that bloom in the spring, and, of course, the color of caps and parkas littering the landscape this time of year.
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment