Friday, November 21, 2014

6.21 Laughter - You Will Get An A

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-first day of each month is "Laughter."
***************************
It's a small state university in a state with an unemployment problem. Our conservative governor claims that we should only teach classes that have a direct corollary to success in the workplace (note to said governor: teaching critical thinking and clear communication skills will help in any job).  Anyway, the end product is that it is, on occasion, difficult to get people to register for some classes.  If a student doesn't feel like a class will have a practical application, they might not take it.

(Imagine that here I discuss how the import of a good liberal arts education and make a suggestion that folks go to a trade or technical school if they wish to learn how to something practical.  Off my soapbox now.)

So we advertise for people to take our courses - we jazz them up, make them sexy, and attempt to convince students to walk on the wild social science side for a semester.

I walked by this flier (I just looked up flier/flyer and now I'm more confused than ever about which is correct) about a dozen times and each time I would get all huffy and puffy and start muttering to myself about grade inflation and low standards and work myself up into a typical NGS lather.  And then I stopped to read it.  Cue convulsive laughter.  (Also - great advertising. I think I'll use this technique the next time I need to get enrollments in my sections.)

Full text:
If you take this class, you will get an excellent understanding of Russian history since 1815!
How have Russian and the USSR shaped European and world history in the last two hundred years?
Why was Russia the site of the first real experiment in communism and why did it end so disastrously?
Was Rasputin indeed "Russia's greatest love machine?" 
***************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit To Quit

1 comment:

  1. I would have used "flyer." I love the use of the big letters for "YOU WILL GET A...n excellent understand of Russian history since 1815!

    Reminds me of my favorite of the "In Soviet Russia" memes: "You have right to bear arms? In Soviet Russia, we have right to WHOLE bear."

    ReplyDelete