Friday, October 03, 2014

5.3 Think - Differences in Meanings

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the third day of each month is "Think."
****************************
This appears to be American Apparel's slogan.
And, you know, I sat there and stared at this sign for a long time. I mean, I shop there because of their commitment to sweatshop free offerings, but I also cringe every time I walk in because it is one of the most sexist stores I have ever been in. The menswear looks like any menswear section in any department store - tshirts, jeans, and hoodies. But the women's section? Who wears this crap?  Crop tops, miniskirts, and transparent tunics? 

With the exception of their very-NGSlike selection of hosiery, I can't, in good conscience, buy anything from their store. Because being politically correct isn't always necessary, but clearly separating your store so that the misogyny and perverted nature of your lead designer is abundantly clear in the stark differences between the styles of the men and women sections  does not necessary mean that your store is entirely ethical, even if you don't use sweatshop labor.
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment