Tuesday, October 28, 2014

5.28 Cooking - The Last of the Kale

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-eighth day of each month is "Cooking."
****************************
I have a Facebook friend who lives in Ithaca, New York and she complains about the kale she gets from her CSA more than I do. She's forever taking kale dishes to potlucks and attempting to leave kale on her neighbors' front porches.  I tend to just suck it up and eat it for lunch during a weekend day when I am home during the middle of the day. I usually just saute it with some garlic and/or onions until it's fairly wilted in some olive oil and/or butter and then splash in balsamic vinegar at the end. Top it with some cheese (I like feta best, but I've been settling for Parmesean because it's what we have in the house) and it's absolutely edible.
Our farmers tell us that kale is quite controversial. They do an end of season survey and there is absolutely no consensus on kale - some people love it and other people hate it - so they average actually comes out to be that they are giving the perfect amount of kale!  I don't know. I'd happily exchange the kale for chard, lettuce, arugula, bok choy, or just about any other green. 

But it's a superfood, so I always tell myself that eating a bowl of kale makes me super. And I must continue to believe this!
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment