Monday, October 27, 2014

5.27 Media - Podcasts

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-seventh day of each month is "Media."
****************************
Since my husband has an iPhone, he decided I could use his iPod. Now, the thing is that I am sort of anti-Apple and this device is about as intuitive as not using soap to wash towels in every other load, which is to say, this is not intuitive at all. And don't even get me started on the fucking iTunes store which is its own level of dysfunction. Anyway, I attempted to listen to audiobooks on the iPod, but the chapters would get out of order and it was impossible to fix while I was driving and I essentially gave in and just decided that I would use it for what it was designed for - listening to podcasts. And it really does serve this purpose well.
I've written about my favorite podcasts before, but I have added to the list! (Also, Stuff You Missed In History Class is just so bad now with the new hosts that I have stopped recommending it. But do listen to the archives!!)

Decode DC - Andrea Seabrook, former NPR Congressional correspondent, runs this super interesting podcast on the ins and outs of Congress. I especially love the exit interviews with retiring members of Congress saying things they ordinarily wouldn't say.

Pop Culture Happy Hour - I listen to this so I don't have to watch movies or television, but I can still talk intelligently about them.  It's not as amazing now that Trey Graham has been replaced by a rotating cast of annoying individuals (can't we just get one of the Code Switch bloggers to be a permanent replacement?), but I do like the move towards some mini-PCHH updates once in a while. 

A Way with Words - The hosts of this show are amazingly knowledgeable about language AND they aren't snobby about it. If someone calls with a question about some obscure word used only by their family, the hosts LOVE it. Neologisms, long-forgotten phrases not found in any dictionary, and slang from your grandma's era are all welcomed here.
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment