Wednesday, September 24, 2014

4.24 Pain

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-fourth day of each month is "Pain."
****************************
It wasn’t a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. It was just a long day that left both my leg and head pounding and me considering that since I’m not adept at physical labor and this all day long intellectual marathon doesn’t seem to suit me very well either, maybe I should just quit the workforce entirely and take up yeoman farming.

It was the kind of day when you don’t get everything done on the to-do list, but when you try to remember what you did all morning, you can’t remember. The kind of day when you’re telling students about Something Important and they all just stare at you as if you are wasting their time. The kind of day when you have to actually tell someone off on Facebook for declaring that all men are scum repeatedly. The kind of day when you come home, grunt hello at your husband, pop two Tylenol, and hope he doesn’t actually expect you to talk to him.

It’s also the kind of day when  I know it’s my own damn fault. I scheduled office hours later in the afternoon on Wednesdays because I wanted to be accommodating to my students, but no one ever comes and I just end up staying late working on the next day’s lecture.  It’s not a “waste” of time because I am getting work done, but it’s also time I could be working in the comfort of my own home with a cat in my lap.  

Whatever. Tomorrow’s a new day. A new attitude.
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment