Tuesday, September 23, 2014

4.23 Writing - On My Desk

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-third day of each month is "Writing."
****************************
This is what my desk currently looks like. Yes, I got an iced coffee on the way home from work today. Do not judge me.
To the left of my monitor is a pile of papers. One is a list of influential books I made The Angry Taoist write out when she was visiting and the other is a letter from my grandmother. Underneath are some postcards I need to write and mail.  I just love that other people's handwriting is littering my desk instead of just my own to do lists.

For the record, The Angry Taoist's list is:
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
The Waste Lands (Dark Tower #3) by Stephen King (reminded me to put the Dark Tower series on my library list)
The Talisman by Stephen King

We had to leave before she could finish the list, but I like that it's sort of half finished and sitting on my desk, like she might come over later this week and finish it. (Note: She's not going to come over later this week.)
For the record, my list is:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (if I was going to get a tattoo, it would definitely be the cover of this book) 
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline 
Home Style by Richard Fenno (political science nerdery)
Protecting Soldiers and Mothers (more political science nerdery) 
Where She Went by Gayle Forman 
Just Listen by Sarah Dessen 
Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card 
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein 
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling 
The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

For the further record, my grandmother wrote me a newsy note about people I don't know. She also mentions that she wishes she had more time "to read and do other essentials" and I'm a little bit puzzled as to what's keeping my nonagenarian grandmother so busy that she can't read at her leisure, but I'm a tiny bit afraid to ask. I mean, it's possible she keeps herself busier than I do and then wouldn't I be embarrassed?
Gratuitous cat picture. Zelda hasn't been featured on the blog in WEEKS.
I guess I'll go write my grandmother back now.
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment