Wednesday, July 09, 2014

2.9 Color - Big Questions

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the ninth day of each month is "Color."
***************************

She told me she wanted to color, so we went downstairs and pulled out the crayons and coloring books. But there was a jewelry making kit there, too, and so she changed her mind and we started making beads.  During a lull in the conversation, she stopped and looked at me intently.

“Aunt NGS, why did the Jews kill Jesus?”

In a house filled with good Catholics, she had to ask me.

“Uhhhh…well, Jesus was saying things that really upset people and they got mad at him so they decided to punish him.” 

“But that was wrong.”

At this point my inner monologue turned into a running mockery of Nancy Kerrigan. Why me, kid?

“Maybe it wasn’t the best way to settle their differences.”

We roll more beads, discussing how loud her baby sister screams and how much money she has in her piggy bank.

“Aunt NGS, are they going to kill me on a cross?”

At this point, I am out of my depth, folks.  I put down my bead rolling.  “No, sweetie.  Nobody wants to hurt you.”  I hope.

After all this goes down, I corner my sister-in-law and let her in on my answers so that she doesn’t think I overstepped my spiritual guidance.  Apparently K-Dawg has been asking a lot about the crucifixion since a day vacation Bible school program and she’s half-convinced that at some point we’re going to be reading about her in the newspapers as the victim of some hate crime.
 
A church in our neighborhood just finished their vacation Bible school.  They had this adorable train in their parking lot and on my walk today, I saw them taking the train down.  The church is a good neighbor. There’s a constant stream of men and young boys mowing their lawn and trimming the trees. The sidewalk in front of the church is always cleared of snow and ice first.  The people going into the building always smile and say hi.  

I hope their Bible school didn’t cause any children to be worried about their own deaths.


***************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit. 

1 comment:

  1. This is really sad, but I'm glad you're a good aunt.

    ReplyDelete