Monday, July 28, 2014

2.28 Cooking - Ham, Spinach, and Potato Frittata

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-eighth day of each month is "Cooking."
****************************
I'm fascinated by what other people consider dinnertime staples - foods that are quick and easy to prepare and are favorites when they are prepared. Sometimes people say the weirdest things and I just sit there with my mouth open. I still have not found a way to cook chicken breasts that does not lead to undercoooked poultry or incredibly dry chicken, so when people tell me that they make chicken two or three times a week, I'm incredibly perplexed.

Our staples are tacos and frittatas.  Right now this particular frittata, adapted from a recipe I found in the February 2012 Real Simple magazine, is frequently in our rotation. We buy a package of frozen spinach and unthaw in in the microwave while we whisk 10 eggs, 4-6 ounces of cheddar cheese, and another 4 - 6 ounces of some meat (we usually use deli ham, but any meat is fine, really) together. Once the spinach is unthawed, add that to the bowl with the egg mixture. Then we preheat the oven to 400, chop up one giant potato or two smaller ones, saute the potatoes on the stovetop in an eight-inch skillet, and once the potatoes are cooked, dump in the egg mixture and put it in the oven for 10-13 minutes.  Easy.

I like this frittata cold and since I teach a lot in the evenings, I can put it in my lunchbox with an ice pack and eat it right before class. The boy likes his warm, so he can heat his up in the microwave at home before he eats it.  We usually get 4 servings out of it.
 ****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious. I would eat that breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

    I admit to thinking some foods are "not breakfast" foods. For instance, I wouldn't eat seafood for breakfast. But I do eat biscuits and gravy for dinner. I probably wouldn't eat pancakes for dinner, though. I make breakfast burritos that are a pretty heavy meal. And if I made them for dinner, I would substitute beans for the breakfast sausage. So I do have some rules!

    ReplyDelete