Friday, July 25, 2014

2.25 Courage - Parenthood

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-fifth day of each month is "Courage."
****************************
A family riding around Lake Harriet in Minneapolis this morning.
I think that people who have kids are brave.  I also kind of think they're selfish idiots, too, but that's a whole different topic.  I can't imagine the pressure it is to be handed a miniature human and know that you are in charge of everything about them.  Beyond the concept of whether or not I am a good enough physical caretaker (I'm not entirely sure I'm responsible enough for my cat, let alone a child), I'm not entirely sure I am a good enough human being with enough moral rectitude to raise a  non-sociopath.

Parents are brave. They take on whatever special needs their child has. They take on a lack of sleep, an industry of parental judgment, and years of underappreciation and overemotionality.

We sometimes debate "the kid question" and pretty soon it's not even going to be an option.  I think there is no way to make a choice that doesn't lead to regret, so it is easiest for us to take the path of least resistance and remain childless.  But for those of you brave enough to take on the burden of parenthood with a grace and equanimity I could never have, I salute you.
Baby birds!
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment