Tuesday, July 15, 2014

2.15 Inertia - Writing Back

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the fifteenth day of each month is "Inertia."
***************************


My maternal grandmother is 96 years old.  She is cranky, bitchy, and sharp as a tack.  I will never be Most Favored Granddaughter because I don’t visit her nearly often enough, but I do get credit in her world for writing her regularly. I search out stationery that is appropriate for sending to an old lady who has outlived her husband by more than thirty years, has been to the funerals of three of her ten children, and even today can make any one of her dozens of grandchildren come to her service at the drop of a pin and then I send her letters by snail mail.

Whenever I travel out of town, I send my grandmother a postcard. She has occasionally sent me a letter referring to my “globetrotting ways” with some concern that I am leaving my husband all alone too much of the time and he may be seeking out other forms of entertainment when I am gone.  She has also mentioned that perhaps it would be in my best interest to give her another great-grandchild soon, so it’s clear that she doesn’t really understand me very well.

Over the weekend, we got news that my grandmother had fallen in the bathroom and broken a rib.  I immediately felt guilty because I had gotten a letter from her on Thursday and I left on Friday without writing her back. We sent her a postcard from the Great Lakes Lighthouse Journey of 2014, but I’m sure she would like nothing more than an actual letter with actual news from her tenth most favorite grandchild.  But today, instead of putting pen to paper and writing, I worked on my syllabus for next semester, pet the cat, and filled out an expense report.  This procrastination must stop!


***************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment