Friday, June 27, 2014

1.27 Media - Science as Art

Bestest Friend and I are embarking on a new blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-seventh day of each month is "Media."
***************************



Airports are their own weird little world.  I feel like the airport designers and decorators do their best, but there's only so much they can do when it comes right down to designing places where people are essentially stressed out and waiting.  So when I had an hour and a half to kill at Terminal 3 at O'Hare in Chicago this morning, I was impressed with the art posters from the Institute for Genomic Biology. I have no idea what any of those things are (my best guesses are the nose of a dolphin, two mating frogs, droplets of Crystal Light in a swimming pool, and a gross avocado slice), but I love the idea that science is being made beautiful while simultaneously providing travelers an oasis of calm and retreat.

I used to think that someday I would be able to understand discussions about science, but then I realized that the truth is that I don't care about the details. If "they" say that the universe is expanding, I trust "they" what they're talking about. Same with theories of evolution, climate change, and gravity.  But if they want to make pretty pictures for me to look at, so much the better for me.

***************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit To Quit

No comments:

Post a Comment