Monday, December 02, 2013

November 2013 Books

Empress of the World by Sara Ryan (library book) - I am sorry, Ms Ryan. I tell authors that I want books with characters who have normal, everyday problems and you absolutely provided that. I also found the book boring. You gave me what I wanted, so this is my fault.  I can't recommend this book.

The Lucy Variations by Sara Zarr (library book) -  With the exception of the haunting Sweethearts, Zarr's books seem to be just shy of interesting to me.  There's just something off about the main character, something that makes her seem too standoffish, too cold, too something unrelateable.  Meh.


Homecoming by Cynthia Voight (library book) - Elizabeth kept recommending this book and I kept taking it out of the library. I borrowed it no less than three times and each time I'd return it after the first few pages because the writing was just so bad.  (Sorry, Elizabeth.)  But this time I was determined.  And it did get so much better.  By the time I was a few chapters in, it was riveting and I was staying up way too late for just one more chapter.  So, push on, my friends. It's quite good.

Dr. BB and I had a discussion about what was wrong with those first couple of chapters and the answer, from my perspective, was that they are completely unnecessary.  I don't need Dicey to explain to me that James is smart, Sammy is a brat, and Maybeth is quiet, shy, and slow. The author develops her characters throughout the entire book and we learn it all.  We don't need it crammed down our throats.  Anyway, you should read it.

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan (library book) - This is Battlestar Gallactica with teenagers. But while Battlestar Gallactica was, at least occasionally, spellbinding and thought provoking, this was the kind of book in which you find yourself reading only every other page towards the end just to make it stop.

W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton (library book)  - I love Kinsey Millhone and I am going to read every book in this series no matter what. This  is definitely a solid entry in the Millhone saga.


11/22/63 by Stephen King (library book) -  Time travel is a tough literary conceit to use, but I think King handled it masterfully by tackling it head on.  I thought this was excellently done. It was thought provoking and I kept pestering Dr. BB with hypothetical questions about it while I was reading it.

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (library book) -  This was a quick, easy read.  I enjoyed it, but I don't think it's going to make any of my favorite lists any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment