Thursday, August 01, 2013

July 2013 Books

So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld (library audiobook) - You don't often get the mix of satire, romance, and mystery in young adult literature these days that you do in this book. While some of the novel, especially the mystery plotline, was not executed perfectly, it was an entertaining diversion while I was driving to work.  Westerfeld is really a genius of YA fiction.

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell (library book) - I got this book from the library, but I love it so much, I'm going to buy it.  I love the mix of light and dark, imperfect and perfect, humor and seriousness.  There's something so compelling about a love story in which the characters are not perfect - the drama is created not by coincidences or misunderstandings of eavesdropping or spying - but by the emotions and thoughts of the incredibly fallible individuals created on the page.  I think this book is going to rank right up there with Just Listen and Where She Went as books I'll be giving my nieces as soon as they turn fifteen.

The Other Normals by Ned Vizzini (library book) - I did not enjoy It's Kind of a Funny Story by this author and I did not enjoy this book either. I guess I'm just not a Vizzini fan.

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (library book) - How is it possible that this is the same author who brought us the the awful Shiver trilogy?  This book was truly fantastic.  The internets told me that it was a good book, but I doubted them because Stiefvater and I don't have the best history, but I loved this book.  Between this and Eleanor and Park, it was one of the best trips to the library I've had in ages.

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson (library ebook) - The writing was good, but the pacing was slow and the main character was insufferably self-centered.  I didn't love it.

Avalon High by Meg Cabot (library audiobook read by Debra Wiseman) - I can't believe I wasted almost seven hours of my life listening to this garbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment