Monday, July 01, 2013

June 2013 Books

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo (library ebook) - This was a sweet kid's book. I thought Edward Tulane was better, but I think this would be a great book to read to older kids at night and it won't kill the parents with boredom, either.

Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer (library ebook) - I thought this was a compelling book about a guy who worked really hard to be successful at memory games until he ultimately competed in the World Memory Championship.  The narrative style in which Foer seamlessly includes his own experiences with history and research on memory was well done.  Thumbs up.


The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (library ebook) - I'd only recently even heard of this book and I devoured it - it was just sooooo good.  I really can't wait to read the next book in the series.  Thumbs up, way up.

Crash by Lisa McMann (library audiobook narrated by Allyson Ryan) -  I think I might have liked this better if I'd read it instead of listening to the audiobook because the voice actor's voice was like someone chomping on ice while another person chewing gum next to her cracked his knuckles.

Whale Talk by Chris Crutcher (library ebook) -  I really, really, really hate it when characters in young adult fiction are perfect. I think that Crutcher tried to make T. J. non-perfect because the character has some anger issues, but he's so well-trained in anger management that even when he messes something up, he immediately confesses and I just wanted T. J. to make a real mistake.  And he never did. So the whole book seemed fake and scripted.

Hiroshima by John Hersey (library audiobook narrated by George Guidall) - Hersey is not a good writer. His sentences are all declarative sentences. The subject matter is incredibly important.  But Hersey's treatment of the material will drive you crazy.  He doesn't know what a comma is.  I think everyone should read this.  But I think a modern editor should do some work to it first.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (Kindle book) - My Bestest Friend recommended this to me and I wanted to love it because she was so enthusiastic about it, but I thought it was just okay. It was hilarious, but it was hilarious in a smarter-than-high-school-kids-actually-are kind of way that always bugs me.  I was a precocious teen, but these kids are beyond smart.  Anyway, it was good - maybe even better than The Fault in Our Stars, but still not a home run for me.

Wife 22 by Melanie Gideon (library ebook) - No. I just can't read books that glorify adultery. 


The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold (library ebook) - Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant.  It's Game of Thrones without the annoying change of character every damn chapter. It's smart world building. It's smart character building. It's admittedly a bit of a slog to get to the good parts, but it's worth it to have the back story and set up necessary for the climax and resolution.  Genius. 

No comments:

Post a Comment