Wednesday, June 05, 2013

PSA: Don't Move to Wisconsin


We live very close to one of the many trailheads on the Ice Age Trail, a 1000-mile foot path through the state of Wisconsin that follows the geographical features that remain from the glaciers that passed through this region and created its unique landscapes.  We regularly hike this area and the interactions between us and the other hikers almost always goes like this:

Them (we do not initiate contact because we suck/are introverts): Hey/hello/howdy. Nice day for a hike, isn't it?  (This is to be said even if it is 30 below zero, pouring rain, or 700 degrees with 90% humidity - it is the midwest, this is how we are.)

Us:  Yep.

Them: Better make sure you check for ticks when you leave. There are a lot of ticks out here.

Us: Yep.

End scene.

I am being a bit sarcastic in the title saying don't move to Wisconsin. The geography is lovely and there is much outdoorsy to do, if you are so inclined.  We really are enjoying our time here, but I wish I didn't have to wear long-sleeves, jeans, hiking boots, gloves, a hat, and DEET when we go hiking.  Maybe next time we'll move to Wyoming.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/09/2013

    EW. Ticks are so nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI: The one and only tick I ever picked up for a joy ride (on my 14-year-old right breast thankyouverymuch...I can still remember my utter panic when I was putting on my nightgown that night 37 years ago) was acquired during a horseback ride on a private ranch in central Wyoming. But don't let me discourage you from moving to Wyoming. It's an amazing state!

    ReplyDelete