Friday, November 02, 2012

Choices







You don't choose the person you fall in love with.  If I had a choice, I guarantee you that I would not have picked a chronically ill, hard to employ political theorist with a penchant towards watching scary movies and rooting for the Chicago Bears (sorry honey!).  But guess what?  I fell for him and I married him. 

But we did have many discussions. Would we be the kind of people who don't get married until all our friends and loved ones could get married?  Would we be the kind of people who referred to one another as "partners" instead of "husband and wife"?  Our decision to get married was an important decision - one we didn't take lightly - and we used it as an opportunity to affirm our love to one another in front of our friends and family.  But our decision to get married went against all our personal political beliefs.

I know that every person should be granted the right to marry their lover, their best friend, and the face that they see in front of them when they dream of days into the future.  Every person should be allowed to marry the mother of their children, the father of their children, and the person who they took with them to the shelter to adopt that naughty kitty.  Every person.  Because you can't choose who you fall in love with - different religion, color, creed, ethnicity, nationality, gender, or partisan identity.  But we can choose to vote that it doesn't matter who you fall in love with - marriage is for every couple. 

Please vote.  But not everyone - just the rational people who agree with me. My friends in Minnesota, Washington, Maine, and Maryland, please think about this as you cast your ballots.  Marriage for everybody.

2 comments:

  1. If I had to choose a cause to support and fight for, this would be it. I wish I could vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! I'm a huge supporter in marriage equality. You really don't pick who you fall for, and someone shouldn't tell you you can't marry them because of their personal beliefs.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete