Thursday, July 05, 2012

Food Woes, Part Deux


I was reading an article online recently about someone who was going camping with a dozen people or so and there were lots of food restrictions - vegetarians, vegans, folks who can't have gluten, folks who couldn't have soy - and most of the comments were not supportive of these restrictions, but were tirades about how "back in the day you just ate what was put in front of you and sucked it up."  I was so angry. Yes, people did suck it up.  And people died (what kind of reason for death was wasting disease? - a lot of them were probably people with undiagnosed celiac).  Environmental factors, food supply factors, increased diagnoses, and genetics all play a role in this explosion of food intolerance and allergies. Argh.  

Not too long ago, I wrote a post about our trials and tribulations with food.  Basically, it comes down to the fact that my husband has a lot of food restrictions and malabsorption issues, so we need to get him a lot of calories in creative ways.  But I am not creative enough.

Let's recap.  He is gluten intolerant - no wheat, rye, or barley.  He also has a lot of mild food allergies.  We have, for the most part, ignored these mild allergies because we figured we had bigger issues on hand.  But he hasn't been feeling great recently and he's had some problems with swallowing and reflux so we looked at the list again.

He's allergic to cherries, peaches, plums, strawberries, walnuts, peanuts, eggplant, carrots, celery, spinach, tomatoes, and cauliflower (along with some others he's never eaten in his life - jack fruit?).  He had equivocal results (not positive, but not exactly negative) to almost everything else they tested him for and the most important of these are squash, white potato, sweet potato, soybeans, and corn.

I just want to take a moment to let that sink in:  no wheat, rye, or barley because of gluten and no corn or potato because of allergies.  The grains we have left are rice and quinoa.  And we only have those grains because they didn't actually test for them.

I just looked through our list of common dinner recipes and I'm stumped.  Beef stew minus carrots I can do.  No to the frittata with ham and spinach. No to tacos. No to polenta.  No to squash/potato soup.  No to chili.  Risotto we can still do.  I can put together a salad with lettuce, cucumbers, and some sort of protein (eggs, chicken, whatever), but I don't want to feed him a salad for dinner every night.  It doesn't take everything off the table, but it does take off more than half.

So, my food savvy friends.  Any rice-based recipes you'd like to share?


8 comments:

  1. Can he eat cous-cous? I'm not exactly sure what cous-cous is, whether it's a tiny grain or a pasta. (Can he eat pasta?)

    There are, of course, lots of ways to season rice. What about Spanish rice, rice pilaf, chicken and rice...I'm sure you've exhausted the list, though. Most Chinese restaurants put egg in their fried rice so maybe try always cooking an egg in it for added protein?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couscous is not a gluten-free grain. I'm often looking for rice dishes as well so I will keep you posted whenever I find a new one since I can't think of anything but fried rice off the top of my head. I do not envy the challenge you have because that is an absolutely challenging list of foods to avoid! Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I saw broccoli in your list ... and the tomato sauce in this recipe is an add on at the end so it may work for you. (Although, it's obviously not rice.) http://www.healthytippingpoint.com/recipes/lunches-and-dinners/quinoa-crunch-casserole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a great blog/website for quinoa - lots of ideas here - http://www.cookingquinoa.net/ - (if a recipe calls for a food ingredient that's on the allergy list, maybe a substitution can be made with something just as yummy). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just thought of this too - http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/gluten-free-whole-grains - it's a good chart that shows other gluten free whole grains; could be worth a try...

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you feel about stir fries? This is my favorite (I have literally had it for lunch every day for a week) and it can be modified with different veggies and meats: http://lifeofadoctorswife.wordpress.com/2009/08/30/fire-fry/

    We also eat Mulligatawny soup, which has carrots that can easily be removed. But it's a hearty rice and chicken soup with some curry thrown in for flavor. (There are lots of variations, but I can send it to you if you're interested.) Coq au vin? Beef burgundy? I eat both with potatoes, but that's because I like potatoes. They don't have to go in, and I think they'd be fabulous over rice or quinoa. I'm trying to remember if they have corn starch/flour in them to thicken the sauce... but there are other thickeners available if that's true.

    I see that tacos are out, but what about taco salad? I have a fabulous recipe for crock pot chicken tacos that would be amazing with just lettuce, onions, avocado and/or whatever non-tomatoey things you want to put on them. (It's just chicken breasts in a crockpot with some chicken stock and salsa verde and a little bit of garlic powder. The end.)

    Hang in there! Both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rice puddings with cinnamon. We used to make a baked rice dish using cream of chicken soup and whole chicken breasts. Lentils of different colors? Split peas? Crust-less/rice crust quiche? Tried spaghetti squash? Rice noodles? For a fun drink, horchata?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spaghetti squash is good and easy as a pasta alternative. Jrex has been roasting vegetables and has persuaded me to enjoy many that I used to hate as a result.

    I don't have a lot of recipes, but want you to know you have my sympathy. Just avoiding dairy for 9 months was really challenging. I can't imagine how hard it must be to go out to eat, go to a friend's house for dinner, etc. I'm glad you are trying to be creative and figure it out. Well, there's no other choice, but your attitude in the midst of it all sounds loving and not whiny (which mine might be).

    ReplyDelete