Friday, June 29, 2012

I is for Illinois


Driving through Illinois on Monday afternoon, I had to come to a complete stop on I-80 for some construction.  I snapped this shot because it just seemed so Americana with the highway, the corn field, the red barn, and the blue sky. The Midwest is America's breadbasket and I live here and I take it for granted sometimes that there are just fields and fields of corn, soybeans, potatoes, and wheat in the same way southerners might take for granted fields of cotton or Floridians look past citrus groves without really seeing them.

For anyone who has made the I-80 journey across Ohio, Illinois, and Iowa, you know what I'm talking about.  The vistas never change and it's just flat field after flat field.  But there's a beauty in those fields.

2 comments:

  1. We drove that almost 6 years to the day. Crossed the border on July 3 and just kept going. When we think of places we might end up living next, it's possible that it could be the Midwest. Growing up near the prairies, I really miss these landscapes. Such peace in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo and this post.

    You come anywhere near my neck of the woods, you let me know, okay? I'll take you out for coffee.

    ReplyDelete