Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Quick, Quick, Quick


At my last appointment with my orthopedic doctor, he said, in his blase and dry manner, that I would be off crutches and out of my boot within a month.  This was on March 7.  On that date, I was still using two crutches and had my boot on for about 22 hours a day.  I may have laughed at him.

He told me to resume normal activities. End stop.  I was to restart exercising. I was to sleep with the boot off. I was to do everything I would have before I broke my bone.

So this was me the next day.

I look pissed, but I'm really just scared.  Terrified, really.  But I survived!

I have on two different socks here because I took my boot off and used my bike as a crutch to get downstairs on the elevator before we rode.  Admittedly, we only rode for about 5 minutes before we went back in, but the next time we went out? I rode for 30 minutes.

And today, it didn't even occur to me to put on my boot as I got out of bed. I put shoes and socks on, got off the bed, and hobbled out the door. I have not used a crutch at all in almost four days. I went to the dentist and the grocery store yesterday without a boot on and without a crutch.  I have a limp. I move slowly.  But, damn it, I'm moving.

Other accomplishments include:  taking a shower at my inlaws without a removable shower head or a transfer bench, vacuuming (I was so so so so excited to do this, you have no idea), two loads of laundry (up and down the hallway of our building carrying laundry baskets!), and driving back and forth to Minneapolis to drop Dr. BB off at the airport.

Maybe I shouldn't have laughed at my doctor, after all.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/28/2012

    woohoo! yay for freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOO HOOOO!

    Look at you go!

    Congratulations on the progress.

    ReplyDelete