Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Yay Winter!

It hasn't been quite the snowmageddon here in the Twin Cities that it has been in other parts of the country, but I do believe we have more snow here than I've ever seen at one time on the ground in the eight or so years I've lived here. The snow has come in small batches, so we've not gotten walloped all at once, but it's here. And I am enjoying it (for now).

The last few days have been a blur of winter activities. Saturday we went to the Luminary Loppet held on Lake of the Isles. They put gorgeous luminaries all over the lake and cross country skiers and snowshoers go around the lake. Walkers can walk around, too. There were fire jugglers, bonfires, and, of course, plenty of dogs galloping through the snow.



(Photos courtesy of the City Of Lakes Loppet web page).

Sunday we went ice skating at the park a few blocks from our house. I'll be honest - my ice skates are really uncomfortable and I lasted about twenty minutes before calling uncle. I would consider new skates if we did skating more than twice a winter, but I really don't!! Bonus - the park we use (Lyndale - Hampstead) has a warming shed and there are lots and lots of ice skates you can use for free!! Free!!

Then today we went to the same park to go sledding. It has snowed a few inches in the last couple of days (nasty commutes), but it was great fluffy snow for sledding!! We went up and down, up and down, until I made the boy come inside because he does not have snow pants and snow was getting inside his improvised wind pants over jeans combination. (I do have snow pants - awesome pink camouflage snow pants. Those snow pants, combined with my purple coat, are the coolest combo ever.)

Anyway, it's been winter fun and I hope that others are enjoying the weather, too, even if it does mean having to leave the house fifteen minutes early in the morning to get to work on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment