Saturday, January 03, 2009

Dear Tony

Dear Tony Dungy,
I want you to know that I had a sign all made up that said "Go Tony" for today's game against the San Diego Chargers. I want you to know that before the game started, I made my licorice spice tea, curled up under a fleece blanket on the couch, smiled at my little sign, and prepared to watch your team kick the crap out of the Chargers.

I also want you to know that when the game ended up going into overtime, I had to leave the room. I couldn't take the stress and I started chewing my nails. I wanted to be there to cheer you and Payton and Adam and all my other Colts on, but I failed you. I went into our office and wrote a lesson plan to keep my mind off the stressful nature of the playoffs. I want you to know that I will never do that again. When you lost that game, I knew deep in my heart that it was my fault because I left the room.

I know you are considering retiring after this season. I hope that you don't. You are the classiest coach in football and I love watching you week after week. Please don't let this defeat (to the Chargers! ergh!) have anything to do with your decision. After all, this defeat was caused by me choking at the end of your playoff game - it had nothing to do with your coaching and everything to do with me leaving the room. Please don't retire! We need you! The NFL needs you to set an example of how a coach should act and be.

I'm sorry I have failed you, Tony. But thank you for being everything a real man, a real coach, and a real person should be.

Your Fan Forever,


P. S. If you do end up coming back next year, can we get some new people to help you decide on challenges? You are not so good with the throwing of the red flag and it's starting to grate on my nerves!!

****************************
I have decided that I'm going to enter this into Scribbit's Write-Away contest this month, because it fits so well with her theme of "The Finish Line." I hope it's not the actual finish line for Tony Dungy, but this year's season is officially over for the Colts.

3 comments:

  1. Question: Are you also responsible for the Lions' 0-16 season?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this :) Even though we were rooting for the Chargers--what class you show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Tony is indeed a class act. I'm a Green Bay Packer fan, but I have to like and respect Tony Dungy.

    ReplyDelete