Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Cookie Snatcher

I made cookies on Sunday night. I have had this incredible cookie craving recently and I think it's cruel to go to the store and just buy some because the boy can't eat them. I could buy some gluten-free cookies (Pamela's makes some that are pretty good), but they are expensive and I feel it is my wifely duty to cook dessert. I don't feel any wifely compunction to actually cook a meal, but dessert? Dessert should be made from scratch! Of course?

So, I made cookies while I watched the Steelers beat the Jaguars.

(Dear Steelers Offensive Line,
Look, you gotta step up and do your jobs NOW. Ben Roethlisberger is hurt and you let him get sacked and pushed around and now he's all cradling his arm like it's about to fall off. So, I know you technically won that game, but seriously? Are you proud of yourselves? Your QB's about to keel over and without him, who do you have? Leftwich? Some dude named Dixon I've never heard of? Get it together!!

Thanks! NGS)

Now, making cookies isn't as easy as you might think. First I have to mix up a batch of gluten-free flour. This involves a precise combination of white rice flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, salt, and potato starch. Then I get to use my wonderful KitchenAid mixer to do the rest. Then I can only make about six cookies at a time. So, it took all Sunday evening.

On Monday, I come home and BB is rooting around in the cupboards for a snack.

"Hey," I yell from the other room. "You should eat those cookies. They need to be all gone before we leave on Friday."

He walks into the room holding a popsicle. "Oh, yeah. I don't think that'll be a problem," he sneers at me.

Later that night, after dinner, I think I would like a cookie for dessert. I open up the cookie tin. There are only three cookies left!

"You ate two dozen cookies TODAY?"

And still he is as thin as a rail.

No comments:

Post a Comment