Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Duty Calls

So, yours truly, NGS, has been summoned for jury duty!! Jury duty begins on Monday and lasts for two weeks. I have to call in twice a day every day for those two weeks to see if they need me to actually go to the Government Center. Yay for my life not having to come to a complete and total halt. Just two teensy little disruptions a day.

I'm insanely excited about the process. Here's how I see it going down in voir dire.

Attorney: Have you ever been to court before?
NGS: Before coming to live in Minnesota, I was a court advocate for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. I also volunteer for an organization that monitors court cases involving domestic violence, child abuse, and sexual assault. So, yes.
Attorney: Do you think you could presume the defendant innocent until proven guilty in this case?
NGS: Well, I think that prosecutors want high win ratios. If the case has gone this far and there hasn't been a plea bargain yet, I tend to think the prosecutor must have a really good case. So, no.
Judge: You may be excused. Please go back to the jury room.

However, it is super unlikely I will get anywhere near voir dire. On the questionnaire jurors fill out prior to even getting into the possible jury pool, I will answer these questions and I will be weeded out. Also, my roommate was on jury duty last year and she was never even called in. Maybe I'll never even have to go downtown at all.

But I want no one to claim that I have not done my civic duty with enthusiasm!

No comments:

Post a Comment