Previous CBBC books:
According to my still non-existent editorial calendar, we're doing another round of Cool Bloggers Book Club (CBBC) next month! I have winnowed down the book selection to three books and now you, my friends, are going to vote on what you think is the best option. How did I choose these books? When I was in Indianapolis with TJC, we spent an inordinate amount of time discussing books I would pick for the next CBBC vote. Here's the theme: non-American authors.
You do not have to be cool or a blogger to participate, although I'd argue you're cool just by being here.
Now that we're done with all this introductory nonsense, let's get to the vote.
Option #2: The Vegetarian by Han Kang (2007, 158 pages) - A woman has nightmares and decides to stop eating meat. This leads to disturbing cascading events at home.
Options #3: Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata ( 2016, 163 pages) - Keiko is very happy with her job at a convenience store, but it seems like the rest of the world isn't happy for her.
Those are the options. You can try to lobby fellow readers to your favorites in the comments, but your actual vote will be cast at this Google form. I am asking for you to rank order your choices from your most preferred to least preferred book. You do not actually need to be a blogger to participate in CBBC, but you should probably at least occasionally read this blog. I'll leave the form up until Wednesday, September 23 and then I'll tabulate the votes and post the schedule soon thereafter.
Sound off in the comments!
.png)
.png)
All three are ones I'd never pick up on my own, so this will be interesting! I voted sort of randomly, so I hope the other readers can make more informed choices.
ReplyDeleteI love a random vote! That's fun.
DeleteI voted. I've read I Who Have Never Known Men, started Convenience Store Woman last week but then saw a blog friend had rated it quite poorly, so I DNF'd (for now, I have a lot of books in at the library/on my Kobo right now competing for my attention), so my top pick is The Vegetarian because I've never heard of it before.
ReplyDeleteConvenience Store Woman is really interesting. The themes about neurodivergence, what it's like to be a woman, and career-related pressure are super interesting. I think it's maybe in the top five books I've read in the last ten years. I don't know who your blogging friend is, but they are missing the point on this one.
DeleteOoh ooh!!! I'm going to vote for Convenience Store Woman! I keep hearing about that book (they seem to bring it up a lot on Books Unbound) and I was just thinking I would like to read it. Last time I voted for I Who Have Never Known Men, but by now I feel like I've heard too much about the book and I don't feel like reading it anymore. But of course I will read whatever everyone chooses, so I can participate in book club!
ReplyDeleteI think you should read Convenience Store Woman even if it doesn't get chosen! I think you'd really like it, especially since you've read Japanese literature before.
DeleteI had The Vegetarian on loan but never ended up reading it! I am going to be out of service (100%, in the mountains) until mid October, so I am not going to be able to comment, but I can still read along so I will vote for that. I have not heard of the other two. Happy reading and I will catch you at the end maybe!
ReplyDeleteYay! I hope you have a super trip!
DeleteWow, these are all short books, which will be nice in its own way. I loved I Who Have Never Known Men so much, but the other two sound really interesting too. Have you read them all? I would hate for this to be another situation where we pick a book that you don’t like!
ReplyDeleteI've read all but the The Vegetarian ! I just couldn't quite fit it in before I had to put the vote out there. They're so short, though, I won't have to live with it for quite as long if I don't love it!
Delete