Look, I am not sure why my podcast slump is so slumpy, but it feels like maybe the era of Great Podcast is over. My regulars are still there, but finding a good limited run series seems virtually impossible at this point. Oh, well. I'm here for the quality ones out there still.
Criminal "911" - A woman is an emergency phone operator. Everything is as it should be until the shift when her daughter called. Such a well told, heartrending, suspenseful story.
A History of the US Told Through 100 Objects through 99% Invisible -
99PI sold to Sirius in 2021 (that was FIVE YEARS AGO!) and it has not been the same since. Oh, well, we had more than ten years of the glory days. At some point, I actually unsubscribed and took it off my feed. BUT THEN! Roman Mars, the host and creator, started producing episodes inspired by A History of the World in 100 Objects, a podcast that was put out by the British Museum about objects in the British Museum.
And these episodes are SO GOOD. A taste of what I've been loving.
#12 "The Negro Cloth" - Clothing that enslaved people wore is basically impossible to find. It wasn't meant to be long-lasting, scraps were used in other ways, including in quilts, and it wouldn't have been deemed "worthy" enough for someone to keep in their attic. When someone asked the inaugural director of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture about the kind of things he was most hoping to find and also least likely to find, he put "slave clothing" at the top of his list. Do you want to know what they found?! FASCINATING STUFF.
#15 "The Bundy Clock" - Someone had to invent the timeclock, didn't they?!
#16 "The Wheel of Fortune Dalmatian" - Do you remember the shopping round on Wheel? I remember it. I lived for it. I also liked Supermarket Sweep, but we don't have time for me to talk about my complicated feelings about capitalism in game shows. OH! Do you know what Pat Sajak said Vanna White's name so often? So it would be harder to fire her. I always though Sajak was a weird choice for a host because he was oddly gruff and sort of condescending, but this little factoid made me like him a lot more.
#18 "Hair Relaxer" - I needed this primer on black hair, I really did. The first black woman who was a millionaire was a millionaire because of hair straightener. But it's really bad for your hair and probably your overall health with increased cancer risks. But it's cultural. And...it's so complicated.
(Okay, to be transparent, I tried to listen to #14 "The Basketball Sleeve" and nothing could have been less interesting to me, so not all episodes in this series are homeruns. But most of them are.)
"The BIG Books Episode with Chrissie Whitley, Episode 235" from Sarah's Bookshelves Live - In general, I like this podcast. I like the recommendations, I like that they don't love everything that they read, and I like that they're honest. What I didn't like?
Every book Sarah recommended this week was by a man. Do better, Sarah.
Planet Money "The Domino's Pizza Tracker Theory of Everything" - This honestly would have been a great 99PI crossover episode. The mashup of design and commerce was fascinating! Also, do people really watch trackers? I occasionally check-in on where a package is, but I don't need minute by minute updates on anything!
****************
Have you listened to a great limited series pod recently?
Forget podcasts, what else are you listening to? Great songs? Great audiobooks? I need SOMETHING for all these hours I'm walking the dog.

My parents still watch Wheel of Fortune and when I go over to their house, I get kind of competitive with them trying to guess. My mom is pretty good though, it's almost impossible to beat her. I listened to an interview yesterday with the first (and only) woman to solo sail race around the world. It took her 130 days. At one point she broke a bunch of ribs but no worries, she felt better - SIX WEEKS AFTER THE FACT. While she was still sailing! Anyway, some people are made of much tougher stuff than I am.
ReplyDeleteWheel of Fortune is SO GOOD. One of my sisters-in-law is freakily good at it. It's a marvel to watch her play it.
DeleteI get sort of salty about people who do "adventures" that mean emergency personnel are called out to help when things go off the rails. LOL. I'm real fun at parties.
No! No emergency personnel were called because she was thousands of kilometres away in the South ocean. So she just taped her ribs up and then kept going. THAT is what I mean about some people being of sterner stuff! She had an entire medical kit that included items for giving herself an IV, wrapping broken bones, etc.
DeleteWow. I had totally forgotten the shopping round on Wheel of Fortune. My husband still really likes that show and I'm going to direct him to this podcast!
ReplyDeleteRecently I've been loving Books Unbound, which i'm pretty sure I got from you. And I love Currently Reading. I don't like Sarah's Bookshelves as much for some reason. Not sure you would like Girl Next Door, but they do have their Fall Reading episode out today. Other than that I listen to a bunch of running podcasts that would bore you to tears.
Books Unbound! Yes! Although it does sort of bother me that Ariel never really reads anything. LOL. I am a compulsive reader even when life is busy! I don't listen to Currently Reading. I'll add it and see how I like it.
DeleteMy latest podcast rec success that I got from you is Acquired. I just finished the NINE hour Berkshire Hathaway series. It's perfect for when my podcast queue is running low but I don't want to commit to an audio book. Normally I don't like 3 hour long episodes, but they use the time well.
ReplyDeleteI get a ton of recs from Sarah's Bookshelves and I just took a look at my reading list and male authors are few and far between, so if she's trying to drown out female authors then she's not doing a very good job of it.
Kyria is the one who told me about Acquired! I cannot with that show outside of the "Costco" episode, though. I do get quickly annoyed with dude bros.
DeleteIt's unusual that Sarah would be so dude heavy. That's why I was disappointed in the big books ep. That and they basically said they wouldn't talk about fantasy and...fantasy IS big books, you know?
I don't know about Dominos trackers specifically, but I do enjoy watching the updates on packages in the mail. Although, other than Amazon, they don't tend to be stop-by-stop tracking, more like city by city. I just enjoy the anticipation.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I just get pissed when it's stuck in New Jersey for days and days. Obviously I'm not a good test case for the trackers!
DeleteI don't listen to many podcasts, but I'm all about audiobooks. Unfortunately, (or fortunately - for me!) I've been on an Emma M. Lion kick for a couple of months, that that's the only series I have to recommend! I just finished the 8th book and have to wait until Feb. for the 9th, so maybe I'll try a podcast next. The history of the world in 100 objects sounds interesting.
ReplyDelete