Friday, September 11, 2026

Habits of the Sea by Shea Ernshaw

Habits of the Sea by Shea Ernshaw is a weird little story.


Clay Lockhart's wife and son die in childbirth on a stormy night. During this storm, Clay's house and the eight hectares of land surrounding it break off from Scottish coast in the wake of his grief. This island becomes legend, as people very occasionally see it, but no one ever goes to the island itself. Twelve-year-old Ellie Mills finds the island herself one night in a storm and Clay sends her back on her way. But time goes by differently on the island and what was a couple of hours for Ellie was weeks back at Ellie's home in Nova Scotia. 

Thirty-year-old Ellie hears about a sighting of the island and she goes in search of it. What happens next? 

Here's what I learned from this book. If my husband and I were stranded on a floating island in the ocean and we had to somehow survive with what we had in our house and our land, we would die. That's all. 

Clay didn't even have a dog or a cat with him! He's all alone for decades. I like my alone time, but wouldn't you go absolutely crazy? Like...batshit? 

Some people compare this to Wild Dark Shore, but I think it's better than that (I DNFed WDS). I mean, I bought into the magical element of the wandering island and time slowing. I wanted to read it and find out what would happen to these two fools. I wanted to know if Ellie would ever figure out what was right for her life. I  thought the author did a nice job of not making Clay look like a creep since he first met Ellie when she was a tween. 

I liked this one. I didn't LOVE it, but I did want to know how things ended up. 3.5/5 stars

Line of note:
Some part of me knows he's too good, too perfect for me - and it makes me wary. Suspicious. Not of him, but of life. Like I've always known I don't deserve him. (page 22)
But we all feel way, right? Asking for a friend.

Thing I looked up:
snell (page 1) - chiefly Scottish, meaning quick or acute (a snell wind or a snell storm)

Hat mention (why hats?):
thick hats (page 205)

********************
Would you want to be alone on an island by yourself? Without another person, dog, or cat? 

5 comments:

  1. mbmom119/11/2026

    I would go crazy and die- I have no survival skills. If I didn't have a cat with me, I'd probably start talking to the trees and pick up a pet rock family. ( shades of Wilson...). I need something to take care of.
    I also DNF WDS, so maybe I'll try this one. I did just read a few good books; maybe Daggerheart would appeal to you more? Familiar characters, adventure without much gore, some fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9/11/2026

      Sorry, I meant Daggerbound! The two books got mixed up in my head early in the morning.

      Delete
  2. Let's see. I would love to be alone on an island for ONE DAY. By nighttime I wouldn't want to be alone on the island anymore. This book sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just put this book on my holds last week.
    What else is on the island? I think i would be okay on an island. Not sure how long I would survive, though….

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would welcome some island time right now.

    How have I still not read anything by Ernshaw? This and A History of Wild Places both sound so good, and yet I haven't gotten to either of them! I'm a teeny bit worried that I won't love it though, as I was a HUGE fan of Wild Dark Shore.

    On the theme of remote islands, have you read The Lightkeepers by Abby Geni? So good.

    ReplyDelete