Thursday, August 06, 2026

What I Spent: July 2026

As a reminder, my husband pays the "big bills" like mortgage, phone, car, and electricity. I pay for groceries and the pets and that somehow evens things out. We recently switched so that he pays for Costco trips. Here's how things shook out last month.


Cars ($36.36, 1.4%) - I bought gas once.

Donation ($40, 1.6%) - I won an item at a silent auction at a fundraiser. *shrug*

Clothing ($45.90, 1.8%) - Look, I bought a shirt at the Grown Up Book Fair. I COULDN'T RESIST.

Eating out ($51, 2%) - I bought coffee FIVE times, went to lunch once, and got an appetizer at a happy hour once. Also, there was food at trivia at the book fair. #noregrets

Entertainment ($59, 2.3%) - This is my Spotify subscription, a book I bought, some craft supplies I bought to make friendship bracelets with my nieces when we were on vacation, and giant dice

Fitness ($70.60, 2.8%) - Fitness classes. 

Savings ($300, 11.9%) - Sometimes you think you'll do better at savings and YOU NEVER DO. 

Bills ($306.91, 12.2%) - Water/sewer and insurance for the house and cars.

Pets ($325.20, 12.9%) - This is food for both of them and some steroids for the cat. Don't worry, though, if you thought "that seems low for NGS's girls" because I had to pick up Hannah from boarding where she was for six days which means I've already spent more than this in August. 

Personal care ($356.92, 14.2%) - I got a hair cut, a pedicure, and had to buy things like toothbrush heads and sunscreen, which is stupidly expensive. I also got manicures for me and my husband and a pedicure for my niece when we were on vacation. YOLO, you know? 

Gifts ($396.29, 15.7%) - This was crazy even for me, but blame the book fair, me buying more than $180 worth of stamps to avoid a price hike, birthday, and graduation gifts. When I write it out, it actually seems more than reasonable. 

Groceries ($533.70, 21.2%) - People in this house continue to eat EVERY SINGLE DAY.

****************

Did you buy new clothing last month? Have to buy something boring like toothbrush heads that upset you by being stupid expensive? 

10 comments:

  1. I DID buy new clothing last month - my trail runners had a hole in them so I replaced them. I also bought water shoes after a trip to a rocky beach with my girlfriends. I also had to put a 50% deposit down on Rex's boarding for next January, and that was $$$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying shoes for practical purposes is so upsetting. I just want fun shoes!!

      Oh, man. Paying for Hannah's boarding this week was painful, but it's nice to know she's in a safe place when we're gone.

      Delete
  2. I did buy clothing last month, and it was the dumbest thing ever. When I went to Indiana, I forgot to pack my Athleta skort, HOW DID I DO THAT, and it was a crucial part of two outfits (for the bridal shower one day and the rehearsal dinner the next). For the first, I borrowed a dress from my sister, but for the second day I was desperate, and ran into Target hoping to find a skirt. They were all terrible, and I ended up buying, in desperation, black pants which I doubt I'll ever wear again ARRRRRG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH NO!! That's terrible. Thank goodness for Target being there, but what an additional layer of stress you didn't need!

      Delete
  3. I didn't buy any clothes last month, but my daughter sure did! She cares about fashion a lot more than I do...

    Everything is crazy expensive these days. EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everything is expensive. It's the state of life, I guess.

      Delete
  4. Yay on your savings! Do you have a high interest savings account? My regular savings was giving me pennies, and then I found a good high interest account and feel much better about that situation. I think they’re about 3.5 to 4 percent now, so high isn’t HIGH, but it’s better than pennies.

    Pet expenses. Sigh. I hope Zelda is feeling better.

    You spent some good money this month, with family time, books, and gifts! All of that is money well spent. I do get annoyed with people wanting to eat every damn day though, and I only cook 3 days a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zelda is being a brat about food. *sigh* I can't tell if she's not hungry, she doesn't feel good, or she doesn't like her food. Maybe a little of all three? We'll weigh her this weekend and that will decide whether or not a phone call to the vet is needed.

      It was a fun month and I don't regret any of the money I spent!

      Delete
  5. Listen, I get it. Virtually everything I buy annoys me anymore: it's ridiculously expensive, the package has shrunk, I hate that some basics are so costly, and I'm still outraged that sugar never went back to being a FIVE-POUND bag, but its cost continues to rise.

    Do NOT get me started on how much a local farmstand charged me for a single cantaloupe. And it wasn't even that good.

    I hope Zelda's appetite picks up. Maybe it's time to switch up her food a little bit? (Also annoying is how gradually one has to introduce new food to a cat!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't bought clothing in a while, but I do need deodorant. Would you believe it's $10 now?? And that's not even an "upscale" brand like, umm...whoever makes upscale deodorant. I don't know. I just buy what smells decent. Dove Men+ Care. It's ridiculous. Fortunately, we're making a Woodman's run this weekend, so it'll be slightly cheaper. But our bill will be triple the norm because we always stock up there. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete