Wednesday, May 08, 2019

Cage Match Revisited: More Diet Coke Flavors

Last year around this time, I did a cage match of the new Diet Coke flavors. It turns out that I was not able to get the OG Diet Cherry Coke after I hit "publish" on that post and I have been drinking plain Diet Coke since then. I did not fancy any of the 2018 new flavors enough to change my buying habits.

To recap:
Best: Zesty Blood Orange
Terrible: Feisty Cherry
I'd Drink to be Polite: Twisted Mango
Meh: Ginger Lime

There are two new competitors in the cage.  2019 brings us Strawberry Guava and Blueberry Acai.

Strawberry Guava: Over Easter, my sister-in-law asked if I'd tried these flavors. I had not and, admittedly, didn't even know they existed. We began the conversation attempting to figure out exactly what guava would taste like.  It turns out none of us knew (frankly, I don't even know what a guava looks like) and so began a huge family joke about what this flavor would be.

Here's the text I sent to the family:
This tastes like someone put a strawberry in a Diet Coke, but forgot to wash the berry. So I guess guava tastes like dirt.

This has sort of a musty flavor that I, for my part, did not enjoy.  Drinking how my unfinished attic smells is not an awesome experience.  I took a few sips and dumped the rest of the can down the drain.  I now have seven more cans of this crap.  I'll bring one to my SIL the next time I see her, but in the meantime, anyone in southeastern Wisconsin want to try this?

Blueberry Acai: This was perfectly acceptable. Upon cracking open the can, you definitely get a whiff of something fruity, but I'm not sure I'd identify it as blueberry so much as I would identify it as grape or citrus.  Anyway, it tasted mostly like Diet Coke, but with a brief flirtation at something fruity. I finished the can, but probably won't ever go back for more.

New Diet Coke rankings from best to worst.
1. Diet Coke
2. Zesty Blood Orange
3. Twisted Mango
4. Blueberry Acai
5. Ginger Lime
6. Strawberry Guava
7. Feisty Cherry

I don't think I'm young enough to enjoy these new flavors, so I'll be sticking with the OG Diet Coke for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment