Friday, May 03, 2019

2019 CSA Preview #2

As I continue living Cynthia's life, I picked up her CSA again this week.

This week brings us nine vegetables:
Bok choy
Chives
Frisee
Kale
Mesclun salad mix
Soy chum
Spinach
Spring salad mix
Leaf lettuce

If I admit to all of you that I didn't actually get around to all the greens from last week, you won't get mad, will you?  I still have  most of the pea shoots and the bok choy from last week.

So this week I was ruthless.

1) I threw out the mesclun salad mix because I ate it begrudgingly for lunch last week and hate every bite. Look, I don't need to hate the vegetables in my life.  Yes, maybe I should figure out a better way to dress it up, but I don't have time right now because the end of the semester is here and all I'm doing with my life is grading.
2) I don't need frisee in my life. I tossed it.

So here we are.

I bet I can convince Dr. BB that we need to do tacos or something to use the lettuce. He'll make actual tacos with a shell and use like three pieces of lettuce and I'll make a taco salad using more of it.

The chives are just useful in everything. I used them in stew and risotto last week. I can probably even throw a few in the tacos.

I'll wilt the spinach with some balsamic and eat it in like three bites.  This preparation of spinach is so delicious and it makes me free so virtuous.  I don't know this soy chum, but it's a leafy green that the newsletter says I can use the same way I use spinach, so that's what I'm going to do with it, too.

The spring salad mix will be my lunch salad. We'll see how that goes.

I still have bok choy from last week and now there's two more heads! I don't know. Maybe I'll roast them?  Eh. If you know a good bok choy recipe, hit me up.

And that's it for the CSA previews. Next week Cynthia will be back living her best life and I'll be out of luck. But don't worry. The real CSA season will began in earnest before you know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment