Friday, April 26, 2019

2019 CSA Preview #1

My friend Cynthia (seriously, that's her name - I'm not giving her a pseudonym or anything) is out of town on vacation. I basically get to live her life while she's gone. I'm taking care of her dogs and picking up her CSA. She bought the spring CSA (I did not), so for the next two weeks, you get a preview of what CSA season will be like.

This week we got eight vegetables and a dozen eggs.

1. Mizuna - This is a green that I don't care for much raw. I think I'm going to experiment with wilting it on the stove top and see what happens. 
2. Arugula - We have plenty of wild arugula growing in our yard. Neither Dr. BB nor I enjoy it, so (don't tell Cynthia!), I just tossed this.
3. Spring mix - This is one the farm's most popular farmers' market items. I had some with lunch yesterday and didn't love it. I think I need to come up with a better dressing for it.
4. Pea shoots - These are in the pint container. I just put a few of them on everything. Risotto? Just a few pea shoots at the end.  Eggs? Just throw some pea shoots on there. You're hungry in the middle of the afternoon?  How about a handful of pea shoots.

5. Baby bok choy - I'm going to make a risotto with this and eat it for my lunches this weekend. I might even get some mushrooms to bulk up the risotto a bit.
6. Spinach - I think I'll just wilt down this spinach on the stove top and then throw in a bit of balsamic and a sprinkling of Parm and call it a side dish.
7. Garlic chives - I used some of these in a rice dish we made for dinner on Wednesday night and I'll use the rest in the bok choy risotto I'm going to make. These chives are super mild.
8. Fingerling potatoes - I don't know what I'm going to do with these beauties. Smashed potatoes? Hash browns? I guess we'll find out!


No comments:

Post a Comment