Monday, June 11, 2018

2018 CSA Week #1

It's officially CSA season!  If you've never heard of CSA, here's a post I wrote about the basics.   The first box of the season brought us lots of green goodies.

Oregano
Rainbow chard
Pea shoots
Lettuce
Rhubarb
Spinach
Asparagus
Green garlic


1) The oregano is a lost cause. I can't think of  a single time I've used oregano, fresh or dry, in the last year, so it's not worth it to me to dry it.
2) The lettuce will make someone* a nice salad or two for lunch this week.  The pea shoots will also go in these salads. 
3) We'll make a risotto with that delicious looking asparagus for dinner.
4) Spinach. Spinach is super hard to clean. E. coli sticks to the grooves in the leaves and makes it hard to get 100% clean.  We have, in the last year or so, taken to just throwing out spinach, but it seems so wasteful. I think, in light of that, I'm going to saute the spinach down to nothing and then throw in some of the green garlic, balsamic, and some Parm (feta is better, but we don't have any) and have it for lunch on one or two days. Apparently if you cook it, it can kill the E. coli. 
5) We have rhubarb growing in our backyard, but I've never picked it or cooked with it. I feel like my mom had an aversion to rhubarb for some reason, although whenever I've had any someone else has made, I've thought it was perfectly acceptable. Anyway, I think I'm going to try a rhubarb/raspberry crisp and bring it to book club.
6) The chard and some of the green garlic will inevitably be used in a frittata. 

And that's it. I think I have it under control, but it's only week one, so who knows what's coming?

*I don't really care for lettuce, but it will probably be me who eats these salads anyway since Dr. BB gets really upset at how few calories are in salads. He clearly does not understand the beauty of ranch dressing the way I do.  Anyway, maybe I'll cook up a chicken breast and use lots of Parm cheese and call it a Caesar salad.

1 comment:

  1. I love your CSA posts! Only in this past year have I come around to the beauty of oregano. I use it in marinades and it has such a lovely flavor. (If you are interested, a couple favorites are here: https://www.recipetineats.com/one-pot-greek-chicken-lemon-rice/#wprm-recipe-container-20690 and here: https://www.recipetineats.com/greek-chicken-gyros-with-tzatziki/) Sometimes I just use the marinade for the chicken portion of the recipes and then use the chicken in a salad or roast it by itself.

    ReplyDelete