Friday, December 15, 2017

CSA Holiday Share, Part II

Well, I successfully pawned off most of the garlic and onions from the previous holiday share to lots of local friends and we had managed to use most of the rest of it (I still have some radishes, turnips, and carrots left, but those last forever), so I feel pretty solid that these shares are useful for our household.

So this share brought us:
Sweet potatoes
Napa cabbage
Savoy cabbage
Red cabbage
Butternut squash
Daikon radish
Lettuce
Arugula
Spinach
Leeks
Red & yellow onions
Garlic
Carrots
Kohlrabi
 The plan is similar to last time. I'll use the cabbage and most of the root veggies in a slaw that I make that makes me so happy at lunchtime. We'll roast the squash and use it risotto. I'm overwhelmed by carrots and I think I'll make some carrot soup a time or two over winter break.  The sweet potatoes are great sides that we make regularly with dinner.

Honestly, the lettuce didn't look great, so we're not going to eat it. We're still on spinach strike, so that's out, and as much as I kind of like arugula, it was kind of sad looking, too. So the greens were a bust, but that was not unexpected for a farm in Wisconsin in December. 
Despite that sad green situation, the fridge is full to bursting with these goodies at this point.
And we're going to have guests over tomorrow night and I hope they want garlic and onions because we definitely have some to give away. 

I'm not sure if we'll do the holiday share again next season, but I'm betting we will just because it's so nice for me to still be making fresh slaw (IN DECEMBER) and we do use the squash, sweet potatoes, and carrots so regularly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment