Friday, November 10, 2017

It's Not Pink Anymore

I have lost the memory card that actually holds most of the "before" photos of the house, so this post is going to be super anticlimactic. I spent almost an hour looking for the card yesterday to no avail, so you're getting a before and after post with no before. C'est la vie, I guess.

Our guest room used to be pink. Not quite Pepto Bismol pink, but not lovely baby nursery pink, either. The other rooms in the house were tastefully painted when we moved in, so I was dumbfounded by this room and it quickly became a priority of mine to get it painted. No guest was ever going to come visit us when the room was pink!
So we went with this blue because it is in the same family as the other colors in the rest of the upstairs. I learned some things about my husband while painting this room. First off, he's a terrible painter. Second, he's not concerned about what a terrible painter he is. Lastly, I can't paint rooms with him.

So we did one coat and you could still see pink shining through and he was all "good enough," so I waited until he was at work one day and I was home alone and I did a second coat. And then, because I'm a lunatic/perfectionist, I went ahead and repainted the ceiling, too.  It's not perfect, but it's so much better than it used to be.
So our little guest room is actually looking like a grown up room now.

You can see in the above photo that the ceiling actually isn't straight across and has a slant to it on the one side. This caused us me a great deal of angst while painting.
My goal is to sew a quilt for this bed (white with blue, red, and yellow accents, I think), but in the meantime, it's got blankets on it that are just a smidge too small. Don't judge me.

I think it's possible those plants are going to die if I don't water them soon. Ha ha. No, they won't. They're invincible and I've forgotten to water them for months and months in the past. They'll bounce back.
Besides the bed, the only furniture in this room is a bookshelf that I assembled with TJC when she came to visit. It's kind of a small room, but guests can use the bookshelf as a place to put their belongings. TJC tells me we also need a trash can in the room. Anything else in a smallish room that is essential for guest rooms?
And that's it. I'll update this post with before photos if I ever find that memory card.

1 comment:

  1. I love the paint color! And the bit about learning that you and your husband aren't paint compatible made me giggle. I bet my husband feels similarly about my painting ability! (Although at least I care that I can't paint a straight line to save my life.)

    For guest rooms: I found that it was really helpful to put something in the room where guests could stow their coats/purse/clothing overnight. We added a little chair. But a small bench would do the trick too, I think. Like maybe under the little window near the outer door?

    ReplyDelete