Monday, March 06, 2017

Exclamation Point!

At some point in my life, I just gave up editing my tendency toward exclamation points in my personal life. In my work emails, I frequently edit them out, reserving one exclamation point per email. I understand that a large number of these punctuation marks can make you look insincere and mocking, but the truth is that I am just that enthusiastic about just about everything, so in my personal life I tend to write notes like this:
Going for a walk! Love! D!
We need cumin!
Happy birthday!  Can't wait to see you this weekend!
Don't forget to take your keys!

So, if you are my husband, you encounter these types of notes on a nearly daily basis.  I don't actually know how he interprets them in his mind, but I imagine he sort of pictures me going manic about cumin or something.

So last week he needed to the CD drive in my laptop (PC for the win!) and I diligently wrote the password on a sticky note for him so he'd be able to access it.

Him: I had to type your password a couple of times because I thought the exclamation point at the end was just you being you.
Me: ...
Him: Eventually I figured it out.

I changed my password the next day.

1 comment:

  1. One of my co-workers is extremely outgoing and every single thing she writes is underlined, capitals, and exclamations. We try to understand that notes like "GO TO BANK!!!" are just because she apparently forgets things herself and is writing a happy note. Sometimes it comes off very rude, though, with notes like "DO NOT SHUT OFF THIS BOX!!!" with the word "NOT" underlined three times. So as far as professionally it can come off unprofessional in several ways. As a quirk it's fine.

    ReplyDelete