Thursday, May 14, 2015

12.14 Reach - Bittersweet

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the fourteenth day of each month is "Reach."
****************************
I walked into the room where I was going to be giving a final to my upper-division class to find a book with a red, white, and blue bow on it. A present just for me!
In this particular class I had sort of harped on repeatedly about the ridiculousness that is Americans and their lionization of the Constitution. There are lots of  "...and what does the Constitution say about that? Oh, that's right, it's left purposefully vague" types of critiques made. One of my students is a real fan of the Constitution, however, and after I suggested she read Dahl's How Democratic is the American Constitution? (answer: not very) over a weekend, I think I finally broke her. This is her retaliation to me. I suggest a book she hates, she suggest a book I hate. It's how we work.

It was all friendly banter, of course. (But, let me just say. The original brilliance of the document should not be underestimated. However, it was made to be a malleable document, able to be changed, and the fact is that passing a constitutional amendment is this day and age is impossible, leading to a document that's fully stuck in a different era of governance. It will be the death knell of this governmental structure.)

And then the students took their finals and left.

Goodbye, my young charges. Go do great things.
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment