Saturday, January 10, 2015

8.10 Work - Artifacts

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the tenth day of each month is "Work."
****************************
When the Earth has been overwhelmed by garbage, Wall-E-style, the aliens that stumble upon this planet will assume that we worshiped UPC codes and screens.  When they inevitably find my LL Bean backpack, they will be puzzled by the many colored tubes in the front pocket, the small screen with the small keyboard, the pounds and pounds of wood pulp, and a metal key, clearly designed to open up a mysterious door once I arrive at the holy site of my pilgrimage.

They will posit that I carried a small icon of my religion on my journeys as an artist.  Little would they be able to posit that I was merely a scribe, constantly redoing elementary problems and explaining basic concepts.  My screen is merely a useful tool, not at all an artifact of reverence or faith. 

But maybe I like their interpretation more than I like the actual truth.
What? You didn't spend your Saturday afternoon coaching high school students on finding a midpoint?  You're not living.
****************************
 To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment