Wednesday, August 27, 2014

3.27 Media - The Disneyfication of the World

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-seventh day of each month is "Media."
****************************
When I start to think about the number of things I boycott on political principles, I begin to wonder if maybe I am just making my life harder for the sake of making my life harder. Today I went into a fabric store (but not that fabric store that won't cover contraceptive care for its employees) looking for a not ugly heavyweight cotton fabric with a made in label I could get behind.

Then I stumbled into this aisle.
Gah. Disney.  It's bad enough that entire toy stores have been overtaken by princesses and Cars characters, but now it's infiltrating into non-kid shopping arenas.  No. Just no. Leave us adults alone, DISNEY.

As I consider Disney's role as a global media conglomerate, I find the company to be disingenuous at best and  abusive at worst. Thank heavens I do not have a child because I would have a full on boycott of all things Disney for my (non-existent and hypothetical child) and he or she would be a pariah.  The insistent gender stereotypes, the abusive employee conditions, and the increasing commercialization of creative content makes me want to defenestrate someone, preferably the person who first conceptualized the idea of Tinkerbell.

It goes without saying that I did not pay $13.99 for a yard of Mickey Mouse fabric, right?
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment