Thursday, July 03, 2014

2.3 Think – Fixing the Library List

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the third day of each month is "Think."
***************************


       


I did a breakdown of my personal finances recently and was a bit horrified by the amount of money I was spending on books for my Kindle.  And I don’t want you to think I’m buying quality books or anything – these are your garden variety trashy romance novels with misplaced modifiers and constant you’re/your and it’s/its mistakes.  So I took a hard look at my library list, which had grown to an unmanageable number of over 250 books someone had either recommended to me or I had read about and wanted to read and whittled it down to what I actually intended on reading. This actually goes against my general rule of thumb of reading that is basically I want to know absolutely nothing about a book I am about to read because I’m horrible about snap based on information on books and/or authors judgments (i.e., the man character is a boy? ugh.  the author once owned a cottage in Newport? ugh.).  Goodbye, A Girl of the Limblerlost  and SunsetPark (I’m really sorry if you’re the person who suggested them!).  I’ll keep the entire Ender Wiggin catalog, though. 

And then I took my list and went through the library catalog, attempting to figure out which ones I could get on the shelves at my local library, which I had to get from another library in my system, and which ones would require me to actually buy the book or find it in another library for which I have a library card.  Lastly, I went to the library and got four books – all of which I actually WANT to read.  So I think this will prevent me from wasting money on flighty books from the Amazon store.  I think.

Bubbler = drinking fountain in Wisconsin-speak.

***************************

To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit. 

1 comment:

  1. I quit buying books cold turkey in 2012 and my state's library system has keep me satisfied since then. :) Good luck!

    And thank you for help with bubbler - never heard that term before!

    ReplyDelete