Monday, July 21, 2014

2.21 Laughter - To Laugh or Cry

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the twenty-first day of each month is "Laughter."
***************************
I was driving home from Minneapolis last night and as I opened up a bottle of seltzer water, the water exploded all over me, the car, and my hopes and dreams of getting home in time to watch a little bit of Chopped before bed.  The steering wheel, seat, and windshield were wet and my dress was soaked.  I was muttering under my breath about my own stupidity as I took the next exit and pulled into a gas station parking lot.


At this point, I just sat there, drenched, in the car. My shoulders started shaking and for just the briefest second, I thought I would cry.  But then I just started laughing and laughing.  It had been a long weekend filled with early mornings, so much physical exertion that my leg was throbbing as I was driving, and too much work. I was just mentally and physical exhausted.   So I just sat there and laughed.

Then one of those pickup trucks with a huge cab pulled up next to me and men just kept piling out of it.  Six men came out of one pickup truck – it was like the clown car of pickup trucks. By the time the last man came out of that truck, I was newly hysterical thinking about how closely they must all be smooshed in there together.

In the end, I got out the emergency blanket from the trunk, changed into the workout clothes I had barely used on my weekend trip, dried the car up the best I could, and sat on the blanket for the rest of the drive home.  I kept the windows down on the way home, singing along with the classic country songs pounding out of my speakers, and remembered that it’s how we handle the minor inconveniences in our life that makes us who we really are.

***************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.  

1 comment:

  1. It's actually one of my favorite things about you -- how you stop, just shy of a breakdown, and begin to laugh hysterically. I would say it's one of my most favorite sounds.

    ReplyDelete